girlwellread

Girl Well Read

Developmental Editor by day, Book Blogger by night.

After You

After You - Jojo Moyes

A special thank you to NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I would like to preface this by saying that I would read anything by Jojo Moyes. Yes, anything. She could retype the phone book and I would still read it. I adore her, I adore her writing.

After reading a book that you love, like Me Before You, you always want more. You are left with so many burning questions about the characters and what will happen to them. But sometimes those questions should just be left unanswered and let the reader speculate or cherish those characters by imagining their own sequel. These questions probably followed the author around, as did the countless questions about Lou, and what she is doing now, but I don't think that this necessarily means that Moyes should've wrote a sequel. I'm not saying I didn't adore parts of this, but for me it almost read like it was written by another author, in fact, the introduction of Lily felt very much like About a Boy - a lonely thirty-something finds purpose in big-sister type relationship. I simply didn't feel the same connection and affinity to Lou, and the rest of the character and story really lacked in depth and emotion.

I found the subplot about Lou's parents unnecessary. What was the relevance of her mum's newfound feminist ways? And her poor sister...

For those of you that are fans of Me Before You, I get it, you will read it. At best, it is good, there are some funny bits, and touching bits, but all-in-all I expected so much more. That being said, I am looking forward to whatever Ms. Moyes writes next.