girlwellread

Girl Well Read

Developmental Editor by day, Book Blogger by night.

Eligible: A modern retelling of Pride and Prejudice

Eligible: A modern retelling of Pride and Prejudice - Curtis Sittenfeld

A special thank you to NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Where do I start? Okay, so I'm a fan of Sittenfeld's other books, so it was a no-brainer to request Eligible. When I found out it was an adaptation of Pride and Prejudice that takes place mostly in Cincinnati, I have to admit, I was worried that it was going to be a total flop. That being said, for the most part, Sittenfeld actually pulls it off! There are a few liberties, which are to be expected since this is modern day, however things are for the most part left in tact and yet makes it sound like her own and not a retelling.

I did struggle a bit with the third-person perspective. Like Austen, she tries to replicate this perspective and if I had a criticism it would be that I don't think she was overly successful - the story was very agile and manic at times. I also stumbled with some of the language, words like "erstwhile" and "egregious" are not words you hear every day, and didn't sound appropriate to modern day. Perhaps she was trying to pay homage to Austen through language, but to me, these words are simply out of place.

The short, digestible chapters made this book easy to devour given its size. Sittenfled is definitely gifted and did right by Austen. All-in-all, a fun read and I would definitely recommend - it isn't just for fans of Pride and Prejudice or Curtis Sittenfeld.