girlwellread

Girl Well Read

Developmental Editor by day, Book Blogger by night.

The Flight Attendant by Chris Bohjalian

The Flight Attendant: A Novel - Chris Bohjalian

A special thank you to Edelweiss and Random House for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

On Chris Bohjalian's Instagram there is a post where a reader asked him why he always wears a suit and tie to an author event and his response was that it was a way of showing respect and thanks to his readers.  I was touched by his post and thought it showed a tremendous amount of class.  In return, I would like to thank Chris Bohjalian for the opportunity to read and review an advanced copy of The Flight Attendant.

Bohjalian, known for several of his books including an Oprah pick (Midwives), is a gifted writer.  Every novel he crafts is vastly different from the last, yet equally as rich in character development and plot.

In The Flight Attendant, we have a flawed, self-sabotaging unreliable narrator—Cassandra Bowden is a flight attendant with a taste for adventure and alcohol.  Being a binge drinker, Cassie suffers from self-loathing and the odd blackout.  Waking up in a hotel room in Dubai after a one night stand with a dead body is beyond blacking out.  Could she have actually killed him?  Afraid to involve the authorities, Cassie starts lying to cover up any speculation that she could be involved.  With each lie she tells, she increasingly looks more guilty.  How far will she go before the truth comes out that she was with the passenger who was found dead in his hotel room?

I recommend picking up this character-driven thriller/mystery.  Bohjalian weaves an engaging tale of regret, murder, and mystery through strong female characters.