girlwellread

Girl Well Read

Developmental Editor by day, Book Blogger by night.

Small Great Things

Small Great Things - Jodi Picoult

A special thank you to Goodreads First Reads and Random House Canada for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I love Jodi Picoult's work. And it isn't just because in Small Great Things she mentioned Depeche Mode, my most favourite band EVER, but it's because she is really talented.

Plain Truth was the first book that I read by Picoult and I was hooked! I can honestly say that I've enjoyed all of her books, some more than others, but that's not to say I haven't liked/loved them all. But this book...THIS book is my favourite (so far).

The book ignited so much thought, and there is a lot to digest and process. Picoult expresses that racism can be active and obvious, as well as passive in terms of privilege and biases. It is obvious she did her homework, but did she do enough? I think so, even though it was a little didactic at times, but then again, I am also speaking from my lack-of-experience with race issues and from my white privilege position in life.

Not unlike her other books, there are alternating perspectives, interesting characters that deliver page-turning dialogue, and courtroom drama (which is where I think Picoult's writing excels). The difference between 4 and 5 stars is the ending. Obviously I'm not going to spoil it, but it tied up a little too neat, and as we all know, life is messy.