girlwellread

Girl Well Read

Girl Well Read

Published book reviewer, blogger of books & book lifestyle products, wine drinker and polka dot lover. I’d love to review your book next!  Follow me on Instagram and Twitter (@girlwellread), Pintrest, Litsy, Goodreads, LibraryThing, BookLikes, and ReadFeed (Girl Well Read).

The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag

The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag - Alan Bradley

I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

3.5 stars! I forgot how delightful this series is. After reading Bradley's The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie I remembered thinking that I needed to get my hands on the next book as I was enchanted by the 11-year-old sleuth Flavia de Luce. Flavia is a brilliant and unique child and is absolutely charming - Bradley does a great job with her voice.

Flavia is quite the detective and Bradley brings a fresh approach to the classic mystery - again, this is done through Flavia's narrative and his spot-on writing.

The Weed That Strings the Hangman’s Bag works as a sequel to the earlier book than as a stand-alone novel. Readers may not get the family dynamics and Flavia's quirky love of all things poisonous. Bradley walks a fine line with Flavia's precocity and childishness. She seems to be so intellectually advanced, yet stunted emotionally. I think this is what makes her such a successful sleuth and I cannot wait to see where Bradley takes her in the next installment.