girlwellread

Girl Well Read

Girl Well Read

Published book reviewer, blogger of books & book lifestyle products, wine drinker and polka dot lover. I’d love to review your book next!  Follow me on Instagram and Twitter (@girlwellread), Pintrest, Litsy, Goodreads, LibraryThing, BookLikes, and ReadFeed (Girl Well Read).

After Nightfall by A. J. Banner

After Nightfall - A. J. Banner
A special thank you to NetGalley and Lake Union Publishing for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Marissa Parlette and her former best friend, Lauren, have recently reconciled after not speaking for years.  Marissa had extended an olive branch and invited Lauren and her husband to her engagement party.  Only things aren't going so well, Lauren is blatantly hitting on her fiancé and doing so in front of her own husband.  After a tense and awful night, Marissa's body is found at the bottom of a cliff.  Did she fall?  Was she pushed?  Or did she willingly step off?

Desperate to make sense of the tragedy, Marissa digs in.  The party seems to have brought out the worst in her guests, even her fiancé is suspect.  The more Marissa questions, the more she is left confused.  Marissa ends up questioning everything she knows about her friends, the man she loves, and even questions herself.

I had the pleasure of reviewing The Twilight Wife and was impressed, but unfortunately this story fell a little flat for me, but Banner redeemed it at the end.

The plot is interesting with enough twists to keep the reader vested in the story.  When looking at the synopsis, this appears to be a clever book with an interesting cast of characters that are connected enough to add another layer of mystery.  However, the characters were not developed enough and neither was the backstory.  For me this was the difference between 3 and 4 stars.